BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

exhaust problems.... help!

you may have seen my older post, i purchased a cp-e exhaust with catted downpipes and the thing was loud, way too loud with ridiculous drone. In an attempt to quiten the drone i put in two resonators into the midpipes but there is still drone.

I am at a loss at what to do, I am thinking of leaving the cp-e downpipes in and scrapping the midpipes and exhaust and going back to the original ones.

Does anyone know what this will sound like? effect on performace?

Any advice/suggestions will be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Does the CPE axel back have a muffler? No muffler usually results in drone but it does sound great otherwise. My advice would be to flick the axel back and go for something with a muffler. It won't be as loud but it won't drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

The CP-E axleback has a race muffler. Unfortunately the model which imske3000 has is one of their earlier axlebacks which I believe was renowned for drone. They later added a 'stealth' pipe which was designed to reduce drone. To be honest it doesn't really work as mine still drone's quite a lot but it's probably better than imske's.

If the OP has tried to add in resonators and it's still droning badly then either he needs more resonators and/or needs cats, and/or needs a new axleback.

Imske3000, you could try adding in N54 mids with the cats and bottle resonator and see how that goes. If that fails then I reckon get a new axleback if you can't handle the drone.
      03-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Thanks Froop, i was thinking that might be the case. I honestly don't think the n54 midpipes will do anything as the muffler is so droney.

Any suggestions on an axle back?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by imske3000
Thanks Froop, i was thinking that might be the case. I honestly don't think the n54 midpipes will do anything as the muffler is so droney.

Any suggestions on an axle back?
Cats and smaller diameter piping can make a huge difference to volume. I'd try that before forking out for a whole new exhaust system.

As for catback recommendations, not really sure. A lot of people like the berk street. Or if you want to go OEM, the BMW Performance exhaust is pretty nice but pretty expensive too.